This Symphyotrichum novae-angliae ‘Andenken an Alma Potschke’ breaks several of my self-imposed rules of acquisition. In fact it not only breaks them, it grinds them into the dust with the heel of its steel tipped cowboy boot. This list (in no particular order and compiled after much soul-searching) includes but is not confined to the following:
I will never ever acquire a plant
- The name of which I can’t pronounce without inciting extensive sniggering from others, even after prolonged practice on my part.
- Whose moniker does not fit onto a standard plant label however weeny you write.
- That has been renamed to the detriment of the sensitive gardener (in the good old days when it was simply “Aster” life was so much easier).
- That has designs on world domination.
- That is best friends with powdery mildew.
I can’t even stick to my own rules, there really is no hope. She is rather pretty though, don’t you think?