An altogether satisfactory day at the Mantle Estate with a plethora of subjects for discussion. Being so spoilt for choice it has been difficult to decide which highlight to share. Should it be:
- Top tips on getting raspberry jam out of a pale blue linen shirt two minutes before Lord Mantle was due to head north on a top secret assignment.
- The deep-pink hedgerow-tangled dog roses or perhaps head-heavy floribundas.
- The first dragonfly pupa emerging from the pond, unfurling in a mesmeric floor show.
- Zantedeschia flowers the colour of night.
- Digitalis lutea, the yellow foxglove, with its buttercream blooms.
- Slasher’s fine hedge trimming and alpine strawberry harvesting.
- Her Ladyship’s near perfect sandwich construction.
No, none of the aforementioned made the final cut. The winner was the enchanting Iris ensata ‘Moonlight Waves’, whose lime tinged flowers manage to combine the characteristics of solid and elegant. A little like me, I delude myself.